1. What did you this year that you’d never done before?
Natural childbirth. Parented two sons! Monitored my blood sugar. Lost 30 pounds. Toured elementary schools.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any last year. I feel like they put too much pressure on us. But, if I can make some really general ones: try to keep the house cleaner, work on being a better mom.
3. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year, thank goodness.
4. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Savings. A good dermatologist.
5. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day our sweet Ferris joined the bunch, of course!
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth. With no pain meds. That was amazingly empowering.
7. What was your biggest failure?
Letting all of Bowie’s hard work at the OT go to hell when his little brother was born. I didn’t keep up my end of the bargain and he fell apart. We’re back on the right path, but I really set us back.
8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. Not even having the baby! That was actually pretty easy.
9. What was the best thing you bought?
The replacement stroller for the travel system we had used for Bowie. The old stroller was usable, but really beat up, and I tossed and turned at night trying to decide whether or not to spend the $150, and I finally did and I’M SO GLAD.
10. Where did most of your money go?
Two nights in the hospital. Oy vey.
11. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The new year. Being pregnant. Having the baby. Bowie’s improved behavior.
12. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Any K Ishibashi, specifically Bright Whites. Apparently, I found out later, that’s what Brien had playing on his iPad when Ferris was born. I didn’t know that, and after the fact I was like, “I really like this music! Why do I really like this music?”
13. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
a) SO MUCH HAPPIER. Little Ferris was already with us when we welcomed in 2012, but we didn’t know that yet. And I was really a wreck. 2011 had dealt me a horrible hand, and I was so ready for a new start. Little did I know, a few days later I’d get the ultimate fresh start!
b) SO MUCH THINNER! Gestational diabetes is like, the best diet. Now for the task of actually keeping it off.
c) Poorer. For a few reasons. It sucks.
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Saving money (see above). Talking to family.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Losing my temper with Bowie. I try really, really hard, but I always end up cracking once in a while.
16. How did you spend Christmas?
With friends and family, huddled inside out of the pouring rain. There was much wine, many laughs and great gifts.
17. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men. Parenthood. The New Girl. How I Met Your Mother. 30 Rock.
18. What did you do on your birthday, and how old are you?
I turned 33 this year. I had a quiet, uneventful birthday at home. But, it was a good one.
And winner for most exciting moment of 2012: