1. I can’t believe how busy I’ve been lately. This week we had three doctor’s appointments in one day. And that was only Tuesday. There were more. On the plus side, it’s been making the weeks of pregnancy fly by maniacally. On the minus side, I’m so exhausted by the end of every day, I don’t have the energy to clean the house, feed us, read blogs, write my own blog, really anything that involves movement. Even if the only movement involved is of my eyes. I have to store up all the energy I have left to heave my huge pregnant body off the couch to pee every 20 minutes.
2. I’ve been hammering away at a lengthy, possibly controversial, emotional? post about breastfeeding. Hoping to gather the courage to hit “publish” one of these days.
3. The gestational diabetes thing has been going well. I only had a couple of readings over the limit, and the nurse said I only need to be at 80% to avoid needing medication or insulin, so I’m doing really well. But, when I went in for my second appointment, to go over the numbers, the receptionist took my meter and totally downloaded all the numbers into a computer. Didn’t even know they were gonna do that. I can’t flub the numbers. At all. (Not that the thought ever crossed my mind of course. Ahem.) I can’t go indulge once in the bacon waffle from Beachside and then just sort of make something up to make it all look normal. Suddenly I feel really confined by it, not being able to say, “Just eff it.” Just for one meal, one day, after weeks of behaving myself. I’m in this for the long haul. Nine more weeks of “Yay, my post-dinner blood sugar looks ok, I can have one small bite of that brownie.” In case you’re keeping track, that means approximately 250 more finger pokings, give or take.
4. I feel enormous. Ok, I know I said that before, like months ago. Stupid me. How could I forget how much bigger I would be feeling. And getting. And I just read something yesterday that said the baby now weighs about 3 pounds. Which means in the next 9 weeks, he’s going to gain somewhere in the area of 5 or 6 more pounds. And judging by his movement lately, he’s gonna need a lot more belly room for that. So, the mama expands. I can barely bend over to pick anything up. I’ve been enlisting Bowie’s help a lot with this lately (because how cruel is it that as pregnancy progresses, you can’t bend over to pick anything up, but you also become a lot more clumsy?) and PLEASE DON’T HATE ME but last week I dropped a gum wrapper on the sidewalk and I…totally left it there PLEASE DON’T HATE ME.
5. But, I’m trying to remember that I will, for some screwball reason, miss being pregnant. I know I did after having Bowie. It was so much easier having him safe inside me. And I had some mega crazy postpartum ugly cries about not being able to shove Bowie back in because why did I bring a helpless little person into this crazy world?! Why?! So yeah, the 9 weeks will pass, and the baby will be here, and I will be a frazzled, hormonal mess. Let’s enjoy the “quiet” time of only having one kid, and having the world be perfectly content to wait on me hand and foot because of the belly.
6. Because I know I got the earwig stuck in your head anyway, a bonus: